Mercury Safe Dentistry in Erie County
We are a mercury-free and mercury-safe dental office.
- Mercury-free means we do not place mercury fillings.
- Mercury-safe means we have a protocol for removing mercury safely.
Safely Removing Mercury Fillings
We follow the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) recommendations for the removal of mercury dental fillings from the mouth. We make no claims nor offer guarantees relative to the improvement in one’s health following the removal of mercury dental fillings. There are two things we can promise you.
- We will do our best to remove all mercury safely, with little to no exposure to you or our team to the vapors of mercury.
- Once all the mercury-containing fillings are removed from your teeth, we will not add to your body the burden of mercury from your mouth.
It’s only through careful study of comprehensive blood chemistry that one can tell the body’s burden of mercury and its effect on one’s health. Without that kind of study, it is not our custom to recommend any supplements that should be taken prior to and after the removal of mercury from your teeth. To reiterate, we trust the protocol to protect you and our team from the vapors of mercury. Randomly taking supplements, without evidence to indicate their need, may be dangerous to one’s health.
Are Mercury Fillings Safe?
Our profession is divided on the safety issue of mercury dental fillings. The reason for this is that there is no study that has two groups of people who are exactly the same in all parameters except that one group has mercury dental fillings and the other doesn’t. Mercury is the great imposter, manifesting itself in a myriad of ways within each of us.
So this is what we do know:
- First, that mercury is a serious neurotoxin. It is especially dangerous to the young, whose neurological systems have not matured.
- Secondly, there are no known safe levels of mercury in the human body.
- Finally, we know that contrary to long-standing beliefs, mercury vapors are released from the mercury dental fillings for the life of the fillings.
Each of us is genetically unique and each of us handles toxins in our own unique ways. Some of us can push the mercury out through the gut, urine, skin, etc. and some of us can’t. Those who can’t, in many cases, pay a huge price due to the deleterious effects of this toxin.
What happens after a Mercury Filling is removed?
When mercury fillings are removed from the mouth, as dentists, we cannot put the scraps in our normal trash. We can’t even put them into the medical waste bags. We must store them in a closed container and periodically have a company come by, pick up this container, and dispose of it in a special way. We are then given a certificate that verifies that the proper protocol was followed in its disposal. It seems odd that it was O.K. while in the mouth but now that it is out of the mouth, it is a serious hazard to our environment.
Despite the debate regarding the safety of mercury fillings and the fact that body chemistry varies from person to person, our philosophy is to avoid any problems by promoting the usage of mercury-free dental care.
- An alternate source of oxygen is provided during the removal process.
- A non-latex rubber dam is used to isolate the teeth with the mercury fillings; it serves to protect the patient from swallowing particles of the old filling as well as keeping bacteria off the teeth when they are ready to be restored.
- Water constantly bathes the mercury dental filling to prevent vapor from escaping. The filling is also removed in sections where possible.
- A special trap captures the silver particles of mercury filling so that they don’t enter the environment.
- “Snuffy” is a charcoal filtered suction unit that pulls fresh air across the patient’s face to provide additional protection from mercury vapor, thus ensuring the vapor does not contaminate the operatory or the office.
- The dental team is protected with a charcoal-filtered mask.